If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away---Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Readings for Radicals





In my free time in the evenings I have been working on illustrating a new peace and justice lectionary guide entitled Readings for Radicals. I list and describe all the peace and justice themed texts of the three year cycle of the Christian year from the Revised Common Lectionary. It took about 3-4 months to read through the three years of lectionary texts, list and describe them, along with brief intros to each season.

I have completed one ink drawing for the Christmas season entitled Prince of Peace. Now I am working on the illustration for the Pentecost season. Each illustration takes about 8-10 hours. I only have a couple hours a night to work on them, after my four-year-old grandson, Gavin, is asleep. I hope to have 8 illustrations completed by December.

I have been in conversation with several New Testament professors, Herald Press, and the Communication staff at Mennonite Mission Network about how to produce the lectionary. It looks like that it will first be made available on the internet and hopefully printed before Advent of 2009.

I'm hoping it will be a helpful resource for preachers, worship planners, and others interested in biblical themes of peace and justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment