If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away---Henry David Thoreau

Sunday, August 1, 2010

2003 Bethel College Staley Lecture: Rhythmic and Irenic Pedagogy or Teaching Peace with a Funky Beat

Just came across this while looking through CDs and didn't realize I had a copy of my 2003 Staley Lecture presentation (see list under 2003 at http://www.bethelks.edu/academics/lectures/staley.php at Bethel College, Newton, Kansas (a Mennonite College). I was suprised to be invited to give the Staley Lecture! I had only received my doctorate (in Anabaptist preaching) a year earlier as well as beginning my job as Minister of Peace and Justice for Mennonite Mision Network. Who was I to give a lecture? But, I did and enjoyed doing it. In this lecture I gave some historical background to drumming in the Bible and world cultures as well as performing several teaching exercises with Bethel College students attending the lecture, which was probably a first for an acedemic lecture series! I translated this to an MP3 ovew 30 minutes in length, which includes the demonstrations.

01 Staley Lecture 2003 Rhythmic and Irenic Pedagogy or Teaching Peace with a Funky Beat by Leo Hartshorn

No comments:

Post a Comment