If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away---Henry David Thoreau

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Steampunk: Victorian Futurism

I appreciated the style before I knew it had a name. I enjoyed this retro-futuristic aesthetic in films like the Golden Compass, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy 1 & 2, and Van Helsing. The name for this style is Steampunk. Steampunk is a derivitive of cyberpunk culture, a style emerging from punk and the information age of cyberspace. Steampunk is Victorian futurism, in other words, imagining the future through Victorian (steampowered) era and film noir eyes. The style emerged in the 80s and 90s and can be seen in literature, fashion, decor, art, gadgets, and music. A similar genre/style is dieselpunk, which focuses on the period between World War I and II, exemplified in movies like Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, and Dark City. At least now I have a name for this style I have enjoyed in art and film.


















No comments:

Post a Comment